5 March 2008

School Uniforms

I’m going to write about school uniforms, if they are good or bad. I’m going to write about them because, when I lived in London, like every other student, I had to wear a uniform and it bothered me. I’m going to tell you the main pros and cons on school uniforms.


Potential Benefits of School Uniforms:

Preventing gang colours, etc. in schools;
Decreasing violence and theft because of clothing and shoes;
Instilling discipline among students;
Reducing need for administrators and teachers to be 'clothes police' (for example, determining whether shorts are too short, etc.);
Reducing distractions for students ;
Instilling a sense of community;
Helping schools recognize those who do not belong on campus.

Potential problems of School Uniforms:

Students and parents argue that uniforms violate their freedom of expression;
Parents raise concerns about the cost;
Families fear it might interfere with religious clothing like yarmulkes;
Most students feel uncomfortable with school uniforms.

Although I agree that school uniforms bring more benefits than problems, I hated using them! And all students hate using uniform, and when I came to Portugal, one of the things I liked was not having to wear uniform. But I know that they prevent bullying provoked by financial problems, so it’s good.


Eva Oliveira, 1106

No comments: